Sunday, June 26, 2011

Maria Campi Day 2

I know this is a little late but I just did not get around to blogging while on the trip. Our nights were late and internet connection was limited at times.... so, I will do my best to recap now. :)

Day 2 at Maria started off great. The team broke into groups and we worked around the orphanage. Some team members planted flowers, some played with the kiddos, others worked in the kitchen, while others worked on transforming the storage room into a laundry room (which was completed)!! Later in the day, when all the kids arrived, we spent much of the time playing with the kids. They loved doing crafts, playing with balls and bubbles, doing parachute activities and singing. I also got to feed "my baby" Sofia two meals which I loved. Actually, many team members got to help feed the babies and get them ready for bed and they all really bonded with these children.

Later in the evening, during bath time chaos came. We were in the process of helping with bath time of the older children when all the power went out. The children were scared, wet and naked. We helped get them dry, dressed and in bed but it was very difficult, emotional and draining. Emmy and I were comforting a little girl Angelica who was scared of the dark and did not want us to leave. She was very upset when we had to go. She did not want to let go of us but we were told to go in a hurry. It is hard to put those last few moments with the children into words but awful, sad and depressing would work at the moment. Emmy was crying and did not want to leave Angelica. I was trying to quickly tell each child I knew goodbye in the dark and hug them while we were being told we have to go now! I hated to leave these children that way.... I had fallen in love with them and wanted to them to know that. I wanted to spend more time with them. I did get to run and tell Sofia goodbye.

A few minutes later we met in the courtyard at the center of the orphanage with all the workers who had been called back in because of the power outage. We had an opportunity to huddle up with a single candle in the center us providing light and pray over these women who take care of these precious children. It was an AMAZING moment. There were no dry eyes at the end of the prayer. The chaos was gone and God's glory was there filling that place. We were still very sad to leave the children we had grown to love in such a short time but we knew that something amazing had just happened.





I long for the day that I get to walk through the gates of Maria Campi and see these kids again!!!!!!!! :)

4 comments:

  1. Wow...can't wait to hear more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Jennifer, I did not want you to think I was stocking you blog. But really I have been. lol. I went with VO last October to Quito and Maria Campi. I was hoping to see some photos of the children we bonded with. I remember baby Sophia and Angelica. So wonderfull that you all were there to comfort them when the lights went out. DO you remember meeting Stephania and Yajaira who around 6 years old, they were best buddies. A team from my Church in SC is headed back to Maria Campi in July. God willing I will return at a later date this year. See my blog for details. Blessings, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Debbie! We had a great time at Maria. I remember Stephania for sure. My son says he remembers Yajaira. Maybe you have a picture so I could know for sure about her. I am really bad with names especially the more difficult ones. I remember hearing about them being best friends!! :) Hopefully, you will be able to return later this year. I will be praying!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Debbie,
    I hope that you get this. I was trying to go to your blog for an update and I did not see it. My husband and son went to Ecuador for Christmas. I was wondering how your adoption journey was progressing.

    Sincerely,
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete